Die deutschsprachige Community für SharePoint, Microsoft 365, Teams, Yammer und mit Azure
Error when updating an InfoPath form in SharePoint


Oliver Wirkus



Web 2.0



 Add to Technorati Favorites


 Delicious Bookmark this on Delicious


  Locations of visitors to this page


A few days ago I needed to update an InfoPath 2013 form in SharePoint 2013. After I started InfoPath 2013 and connected to the generic list. InfoPath 2013 was able to read the current form and I made the required changes – in fact I just changed a few descriptions.

After that I published the changed form … and was astonished to see the following error message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.


Something prevented InfoPath 2013 from publishing the changed form. Unfortunately the error message does not provide helpful information. So I first checked the list and after that I checked the content type that this list uses.I did not find any issues here.

After that I checked the settings and options of InfoPath … as expected again no issues.

Because I did not find any issues I started ULSViewer and checked the SharePoint logs. After browsing through the log files I found some hints. There have been log items that reported a problem with an event receiver that had been attached to the list.

I started SharePointManager 2013 and took a screenshot of the event receiver settings of the generic list. Now I used SharePointManager to delete the event  receiver from the list.

After I’ve done that I switched back to InfoPath 2013 and tried to publish the changed form once more. Now InfoPath 2013 was able to publish the form successfully.

I took the scrreenshot and used PowerShell to re-attach the event receiver to the generic list. A handy PowerShell script can be found here.

Lessons learned: an event receiver can prevent InfoPath from publishing a form to a SharePoint list!


Bereitgestellt 8 Jul 2014 15:27 von Oliver Wirkus